5809 Memorial Drive
Stone Mountain, GA 30083
Staff Directory [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/index/staff-directory ]
The mission of the Department of Transportation is to provide safe, professional, and efficient transportation for students to and from school; and all extracurricular activities and school-related events. This work directly supports the teaching and learning instructional program for the success of the school district.
Providing safe, reliable, on-time service requires professional drivers, well-maintained buses and a competent support and management staff. As of 2013, the Department manages 945 buses and 850 drivers to transport more than 65,000 students on a daily basis - two-thirds of the district's 99,000 students ride the school bus.
All of our drivers meet Georgia state standards for school-bus licensing to include: a commercial driver's license (CDL), annual physical and mandatory training requirements. The Safety and Training Unit ensures that drivers meet all qualifications and maintains the respective records of compliance.
All school buses are inspected approximately every 30 days for safety and performance. The Fleet Services Department manages all bus (and service fleet) maintenance with highly-skilled mechanics and inspectors.
At the management level, the center of support is the Transportation supervisor. The transportation supervisor directly oversees the drivers to the schools. The Transporation supervisor's office is located in a district sector that is near the assigned schools. Besides the school principal, the Transportation supervisor is considered a first point of contact for questions involving school bus transportation.
Parents may contact their respective Transportation Supervisor for assistance
- Transportation Supervisors and Schools [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/transportation/transportation-supervisor-table.pdf ]
Assisting the daily professional contribution of the drivers and transportation supervisors are the Routing [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/routing ], Payroll [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/payroll ], Dispatch [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/dispatch ], Fleet Services [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/fleet-services ], Field Trip & Transportation Request, and Safety and Training [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/safety-and-training ] departments.
Services: additional information
- approved commercial carriers [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/index/approved-commercial-carriers ]
- bus routes [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/bus-routes ]
- frequently asked questions [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/index/frequently-asked-questions ]
- school bus safety [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/index/safety ]
- transportation requests [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/field-trips ]
- Special Needs Transportation Handbook [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/transportation/special-needs-transportation-parent-handbook.pdf ]
- schools served by MARTA [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/index/marta ]
- school start times [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/transportation/index/three-tier-program ]
(three-tier bus service program for
elementary, middle, and high schools)
- Summer School Bus Routes [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/summer-school ]
Business hours: 7:30 AM — 4:30 PM, Monday thru Friday
For all Bus inquires please contact the Bus Dispatch Operator at 678.676.1305 or send an email [ firstname.lastname@example.org ] to our Transportation Help Desk.
Have a complaint? Let us know. Should you not receive a courteous, professional response to your query, please report it. We ask that you provide the date, time and name of the specific staff representative who spoke with you. An operation manager will follow up to correct the matter. Parents are our valued customer every day, all day and we want to provide you outstanding service.
For all general inquires during the hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm please call us at 678.676.1333.