|As part of the registration for 2015- 2016 a $10.00 fee must be paid
1. All teams (even if they are the sole participant in their system) that wish to participate at the Regional, Divisional, and State levels must register as an official GA HRRB team and are required to submit an entry fee of $10 to the State Steering Committee by the date published on the website in order to be considered for competition above the local level. EVERY team must register online and EVERY school that registers will incur a $10.00 state registration fee.
2. There should be a system representative to collect system fees, if any, and the state fee, so that one check from the system can be sent to GLMA with a list of the schools in the system that have paid. The system representative will also send a list of schools in the system that have paid to the GA HRRB treasurer.
Please see the following link for the complete text of the Framework of the Ga. Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
|The Ga. Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl State Champions
| Regional Competitions:
Chestatee Middle School
4856 Rilla Road
Gainesville, Ga 30506
1742 Cleveland Hwy.
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple St,
Carrollton, GA 30118
Carrollton, GA 30118
Clayton State University
2000 Clayton State Boulevard •
Morrow, GA 30260 • (678) 466-4000.
Sue Ann Prigge
Middle Georgia Region
Warner Robbins High School
401 South Davis Drive
Warner Robins, GA 31088
Middle Georgia Coordinator:
Greene County High School
1441 MLK Drive
Valdosta State University
2016 HRRB state finals will be March 19,2016
at Ga. Children's Literature Conference at the University of Georgia
- Each school will participate in six rounds.
- Each round will consist of 10 questions.
- Alternates may be substituted between rounds.
- Teams will receive 10 points for each answer.
- There will be no penalties for wrong answers.
- There will be five members on a team and up to five alternates.
- A school may have no more than one team.
|Rules During the Game/Round
- Students may hold the buzzer.
- When the student buzzes in, the console judge must acknowledge the student and team.
- The answer must be given within 10 seconds by the student who buzzed in.
- If the answer is incorrect, the question will be repeated for the other team.
- They will have ten seconds to answer after buzzing in.
- If neither team buzzes in, the moderator will answer the question and proceed to the next question.
- If a contestant buzzes before the completion of a question,the moderator stops reading and, after being recognized; the contestant must answer immediately. If an incorrect answer is given, the moderator reads the entire question and the opposing team has an opportunity to answer the question within 10 seconds.
- Any concern about an answer to a question MUST be addressed by the student to the COACHES before the next question is asked. The moderator’s decision is final. The student will get the attention of the coach by raising his/her hand.
- Coaches stay with your team. You will ask any questions, not a team member, a parent or other visitor.
The winners will be determined in the following manner: The teams with the highest total points from all six of their rounds will be the winners. In case of a tie, the teams who are tied will be co-winners. Winning teams will receive a trophy for their school. In the case of a tie, neither team will receive the trophy that day. Another trophy will be purchased and engraved and presented to each of those teams at a later agreed upon date. There will be a first place, second place and third place winning teams (teams in case of a tie).
|Team Selection Strategies
- Recruit a teacher, paraprofessional and or parent to be co-sponsor and coach.
- Encourage all students to read the Georgia Book Award Nominees
- Teachers and sponsors make requirement for certain number of books to be read.
- Secure AR (accelerated reader) test
- Make multiple copies available
- Use vendors such as Baker& Taylor, Bound to Stay Bound, Follett,
- Permabound and others that carry GA. Book Award copies (paperbacks)
- Buy books on tape
- Run a power point kiosk on workstations
- Encourage purchase of personal copies on “tax free days”
- Establish a “literary club” or type of “lunch bunch” where interested students can read and discus the books on the Georgia Award list.
*Discuss each book with students as to its theme, plot, characters, settings, etc.
- Give brief “book talks”
- By January, at the latest, select possible team and alternates
- Ask teachers for suggestions of students
- Give test on the 20 books (16 titles for elementary)
- Hold a school level reading bowl
- Encourage input from students
- Mid-December or before, meet with team at designated time to review books and practice questions
- Students, sponsors, coaches make practice questions
- Use “extra” students not on team as “coaches”
- Encourage students to read at least four (4) of the nominees
|Annual Georgia Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Competiition
- Georgia Association of Educators (GAE),the Georgia Library Media Association (GLMA)and The Georgia Children's Book Award program are announcing the tenth annual Georgia Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl.
- To participate in the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl, elementary and middle school students must read the 2015-2016 Georgia Children's Book Award Nominees. The Georgia Book Award Nominees is the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl's official reading list.
- High school students must read the Georgia Peach Book Award for Teen Readers Nominees for 2015-2016 which is the official reading list of the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl.
- A school may sponsor no more than one team per level (elementary, middle, or high school)
- Each team will consist of five players and five alternates.
- If your school system participates in a district wide competition, the first and second place winners in each division may then advance to the regional competition. Regional winners will then proceed to divisional playoffs. Division 1 consists of north,west and metro regions. Division 2 consist of east, south and middle regions.
|Where can I purchase the buzzers?. 4 D Designs LLC
5940 Bertcliff Dr.
Columbus, Georgia 31909
or FAX: 706-221-9964
|State Playoffs will be held on March 19, 2016 during the Georgia Children Literature Conference. The winning teams from the Division 1 and Division 2 Reading Bowls will compete for the championship of Georgia Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl. The growth of the Ga. Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl has made it possible to have six(6)HRRB Regional Bowls throughout the state.
The Georgia Children's Literature Conference,at the University of Georgia, is the host for the state finals of the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl. Division 1 contains regional winning teams (elementary, middle,high) from the North, West and Metro regions. Division 2 regional winning teams contains winning teams (elementary,middle,high) from the East, South and Middle Georgia Regions.
Division 1 and Division 2 will meet on February 21, 2015.
Division 1 1st and 2nd place teams in their regional competition will meet at: TBA
Division 2 1st and 2nd place teams in their regional competition will meet at
Georgia Southern University, 1332 Southern Drive, Statesboro, GA 30460 on February 27, 2016.