Teaching and Learning
The Prekindergarten Program [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www.php/prekindergarten-program ] is within the Department for Elementary School Teaching and Learning.
Elementary School Teaching and Learning designs support initiatives for schools to ensure quality implementation of the curriculum standards for the state of Georgia. Elementary instruction is for students in prekindergarten through grade five. Elementary School Teaching and Learning offers course syllabi in English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies for prekindergarten through fifth grade for parents' awareness of the expectations for the delivery of a consistent curriculum from school to school and teacher to teacher.
Course Syllabi Grading
- Prekindergarten Syllabus [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/elementary-school-teaching-and-learning/pre-kindergarten-syllabus-(2012-2013).pdf ]
- Kindergarten Syllabus [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/elementary-school-teaching-and-learning/kindergarten-syllabus-(2012-2013).pdf ]
- First Grade Syllabus [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/elementary-school-teaching-and-learning/grade-one-syllabus.pdf ]
- Second Grade Syllabus [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/elementary-school-teaching-and-learning/grade-two-syllabus.pdf ]
- Third Grade Syllabus [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/elementary-school-teaching-and-learning/grade-three-syllabus.pdf ]
- Fourth Grade Syllabus [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/elementary-school-teaching-and-learning/grade-four-syllabus.pdf ]
- Fifth Grade Syllabus [ http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/elementary-school-teaching-and-learning/grade-five-syllabus.pdf ]
Additionally, the department plans, coordinates, and conducts a variety of teacher training activities throughout the year. Teacher training ensures that students are taught with research-based teaching practices that maximize learning. Districtwide instructional delivery and trends in student progress are monitored, assessed and shared with school principals and school leadership teams through a variety of informational forums.
Some state- and locally-funded educational initiatives are administratively the responsibility of the Department of Elementary School Teaching and Learning. These initiatives include, but are not limited to, the Early Intervention program, the Montessori program, and the lottery-funded Prekindergarten program. The department also maintains active collaboration and communication with other departments, state, and national entities in an effort to bring human and material resources to principals, teachers, and students that raise academic achievement.
- Grading is to communicate information to parents and students about academic progress. The basis of the assignment should be clearly articulated.
- In assessing classroom work/performance, the focus should be placed on the student demonstrating that he or she has learned the written curriculum as defined by curriculum objectives.
|Class Participation & Classwork
|Tests & Quizzes
- Class Participation & Classwork (40%)
- writing examples
- daily class assignments
- group activities
- whole group/small group/cooperative/flexible/centers work/pairs
- teacher observations/teacher checklist/student checklist/discussions
- performance-based activities/tasks
- create arrays for math/create a story map/critical experiences in science/use of technology
- Tests and Quizzes (30%)
- multiple choice
- oral exam
- short answer
- textbook curriculum correlated
- teacher designed
- student generated
- student/teacher designed rubrics
- chapter test
- unit test
- performance based
- Projects (25%)
- performance based
- embedded assessments
- radio plays
- photo essays
- technology based
- Homework (5%)
- specific to curriculum standards and elements
- meaningful practice
- extension of the daily lesson
- mini projects
- family activities or projects