The mission of the school library programs is to provide access to information and ideas that are fundamental to functioning successfully in today's information and knowledge-based society. School library programs provide opportunities for all members of the school community to become skilled users and creators of information in a variety of formats.
Educational Media provides services and support to the school library media programs. The department's staff of one director, two coordinators, one cataloger, and five auxiliary members assists the school library staff (a certified librarian and in some schools, a library clerk) at 140 schools and special programs in providing services and materials to students and teachers.
Educational Media provides a number of specific services through four divisions:
- Professional Library (Destiny) [ http://destiny.dekalb.k12.ga.us ]
- provides 24/7 online access to an extensive collection of books, e-books, and other professional documents and journals as well as interlibrary loan to teachers and employees.
- Learning Resources Center (LRC) [ http://lrc.dekalb.k12.ga.us ]
- offers teachers its 13,000 DVDs, videos, CDs, and a sheet music collection through an online catalog with courier delivery to our schools and sites.
- Instructional Media Processing (IMP)
- provides library cataloging for materials to school library media centers (LMCs) through membership in LYRASIS/OCLC
- Media Services
- The department's administrators communicate with LMC staff through school visits, e-mail, a listserv, online memos, and annual motivational and organizational meetings. In addition to the services provided by the professional library, the learning resources center, and instructional media processing, the department supports the LMC staff by offering the following:
- professional learning courses on a wide range of professional topics
- training for teacher/librarians for implementation of new programs
- training for principals in the annual teacher/librarian evaluation
- presentations by prominent authors and experts on current library trends and issues
- guidance on compliance with state and regional accrediting agency standards
- guidance on implementation of the DeKalb County School District's copyright policy, Internet acceptable use policy, instructional media and equipment policy, and accountability for school property policy
- updates on current trends in the profession
- information updates from the school system and from the Georgia Department of Education
- acquisition services and fund accounting for purchases of library materials
- opening day collections for new LMCs
- development of specifications for new LMCs
- support for new teacher/librarians through targeted professional development classes, on-site visitations, mentoring, and implementation/evaluation of required program activities and initiatives
- collaborative programs for K–12 students with the DeKalb County Public Library [ http://www.dekalblibrary.org/ ]